It won’t be wrong to call a pressure cooker the hero of an Indian kitchen, will it be? Ease out your kitchen worries by buying the best pressure cooker in India. But why is a pressure cooker so essential, and what makes it so useful? Let’s find out.
First of all, let us tell you how a pressure cooker works and what it does. This form of cooking has been used in our kitchens for years now. Before people got this utensil in the form of a lid and a whistle, our ancestors basically did the same type of cooking differently.
Remember your mother or grandmother covering the cooking utensil with a lid and leaving out some space for the steam to escape?
A pressure cooker does exactly this, except it has a whistle to tell you that your food is ready. Also, it dramatically reduces the cooking time and effort, allowing you to spend more time on yourself and less inside the kitchen.
Best Pressure Cooker in India
Seems like you’re a smart person who has made up their mind about buying a pressure cooker. We have you covered!
Here’s a list of the top 12 pressure cookers in India, which will help you choose the best pressure cooker brand in India.
To help you better with your decision, we have also added some reviews from people who have used the product:
1. Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, 5 liters
Probably the best pressure cooker brand in India, Hawkins has its set of trusted customers who keep coming back to the company since time immemorial.
This trust is based on their impeccable products that have made life easier for people over the years.
This pressure cooker is made from superior surgical grade non-magnetic stainless steel, and is not easily corrosive. Likewise, the base is thick with 5.8 mm width allowing even heating.
- Base compatible with gas, induction, and halogen stoves.
- 5-year warranty.
- Available in various sizes, upto 10 liters.
- Enough to cook for 5-7 people.
- Stainless steel, hence, relatively lower durability
- This pressure cooker consumes more fuel compared to other cookers.
Unique Selling Point- Other than the usual cooking features, the pressure cooker is also very useful for deep-fry
2. Pigeon by Stovekraft Favourite Outer Lid Induction Aluminium Pressure Cooker
An aluminum pressure cooker with both induction and gas compatibility, Stovekraft Amelia is a great item of utility in any household.
It’s economical and user-friendly and uses high-grade stainless steel to ensure weight precision.
It comes with an anodized body cover and has a heavy base for better durability.
- Made from high-grade stainless steel
- Ergonomic handle for better utility
- Metallic safety plug
- Multiple safety features
- Available in many sizes
- According to some customer reviews, this pressure cooker is not ISI certified
- Due to its shape, it takes up more space on the stove compared to other pressure cookers of the same capacity
Unique Selling Point- In the 3-liter pressure-cooker category, this is one of the most sold utensils in the market.
3. Butterfly Cordial Aluminium Non-Induction Pressure Cooker
Arguably the best pressure cooker in India, the Butterfly Cordial Aluminium Non-Induction Pressure Cooker is beautifully designed.
It is made for the feasibility of users that offers an easy grip and a stay-cool handle. It does not lose color or meddles with the taste or odour of the food.
- Offers food-grade virgin aluminum
- Lock arrangements for unidirectional rotation
- Designed to evenly regulate weight across cookers
- 5-year warranty
- Not compatible with induction gas stoves, but an alternative variation available
- Does not have a side hand grip
Unique Selling Point- Does not impart color for a very long time.
4. Prestige Deluxe Plus Mini Induction Base Hard Anodized Pressure Handis
Certainly one of the best pressure cookers in the market, the Prestige Deluxe Mini Induction Base is made from premium aluminum. This utensil is available in two different sizes and stands out because of its handi shape.
However, this could also be touted as a drawback for this cooker. It is a slight inconvenience when put on the stove.
- Comes with pressure indicators
- Heavy base for even cooking and heat distribution
- 5-year warranty
- The shape of the cooker can act as a deterrent to its utility.
- Comes in only one color
Unique Selling Point- Other than its usual benefits, this is one good-looking pressure cooker.
5. Butterfly Standard Aluminium Pressure Cooker
Some people might say that this is the best pressure cooker brand in India and we wouldn’t disagree. Butterfly Standard Aluminum Pressure Cooker is made with a thick base and has a weight set for a faster cooking process.
The pressure cooker comes in 7.5 liters, which makes it very efficient for bigger families but not for people with smaller family setups.
- Known for its energy-efficient cooking
- Peel- proof offering better durability
- Base compatible with gas stoves
- Grade rubber gasket for longer life
- Too big to buy for smaller families
- Cannot be used on induction stoves
Unique Selling Point- Sturdy handles, making the pressure cooker ideal for prolonged use.
6. Hawkins Hevibase Aluminum Induction Model Pressure Cooker
The highlight of this pressure cooker is its double thickness base. Suitable for different kinds of gas tops, it has an anodized base for better heat absorption.
It also saves fuel with its improved pressure regulator. A hit among audiences, this pressure cooker is brought to you by the best pressure cooker brand in India.
- Double safety due to inside-fitting safety lid
- Made from pure virgin aluminum
- Beautiful appearance due to polished external mirror
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
Check Price at Amazon
- 2-liters makes it ideal for people living alone or cooking for a maximum of 2-3 people. Those in a bigger family set up will not be able to sustain with this kind of utensils
Unique pressure regulator to save more fuel. Whether it’s cooking on induction or a gas stove.
7. Hawkins Contura Hard Anodized Pressure Cooker
Certainly, a great choice when picking pressure cookers, this cooker has an anodized body and a stainless steel lid. Because of the great quality anodized body, it does not allow food to turn acidic and retain its natural health components.
To ensure safety, this pressure cooker too comes with an inside safety-lid. It is one of the highest-rated pressure cookers by the users.
- The pressure cooker only opens after the inside pressure settles
- Flat base ideal for even heat and pressure distribution on the stove.
- Not induction stove compatible
Unique Selling Point- 60 micron thick hard anodizing to absorb more heat and make it more energy-efficient.
8. Pigeon by Stovekraft Deluxe Aluminium Pressure Cooker
Inspite of its huge capacity, 12 liters- this pressure cooker is surprisingly light. This is due to the high-grade aluminum it’s made from. It is compatible with all kinds of stoves and has user-friendly handles for ease of usage.
This is exceptionally superior in quality and has food-grade nitrile rubber gaskets.
- It has a 5-year warranty
- The huge capacity works perfectly for a big Indian family
- It is economical because of its aluminum make
- Its aluminum make also makes it prone to corrosion
Unique Selling Point- A pressure cooker with one of the most competitive rates in the market.
9. Prestige Popular Aluminium Pressure Cooker
While this pressure cooker is available in the holding capacity of up to 20 liters, this high-quality virgin aluminum cooker belongs to the best pressure cooker brand in India.
One of its good qualities is its shape, which has a wide mouth. The comfortable handles are also popular among users.
- It is made from aluminum, which makes it cost-effective
- Available in various sizes
- It is lightweight compared to other cookers available in the market
- One of the drawbacks of aluminum is that it reacts with food.
- Cooking food may not be as healthy an alternative as the food cooked in stainless steel
Unique Selling Point- Even cooking on medium flame, the food cooks as quickly as any other pressure-cooker cooking.
10. Prestige Nakshatra Alpha Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
With the perfect capacity of 3.5 liters, the Prestige Nakshatra Alpha Stainless Steel is a good cooker for a family- big or small.
The shape of this utensil is quite ideal making it a good fit on the gas or the induction stove that you intend to use it on.
It comes at a good price and is aesthetically designed to meet the needs of customers. The heavy body of this cooker makes it sturdier compared to its counterparts.
- It is known for its metallic safety plugs and durable handles
- The alpha base makes the cooker quite versatile
- A lot of customers suggest that this pressure cooker is worth the money
- While it is sturdy, it is slightly heavier compared to other cookers
Unique Selling Point- For a 3.5 liters pressure cooker, this product is very compact. It does not take up too much space in the kitchen.
11. Pristine Sinduction Base Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
A sturdy and lasting product, the Pristine Sinduction is like an indulgence. It gets your food prepared in no time with its unique features.
In contrast to many other cookers available in the market, the Pristine Sinduction Base Pressure Cooker has a bottom sandwich base for faster and more efficient cooking. Because of the stainless steel, the food nutrients are retained while cooking.
- Contains top safety features like a weight valve, safety plug, and a gasket release system
- The stainless steel material ensures food safety and keeps the utensil clean and hygienic
- Only comes in limited sizes
- Does not cater to the needs of people with big families
Unique Selling Point- It has pre-installed safety measures like weight valve and a gasket release system.
12. Pristine Tri Ply Induction Base Stainless Steel Handi Pressure Cooker
This handi style pressure cooker has a capacity of 5.5 liters and one of the best pressure cookers in the market.
With the idea to become the best pressure cooker brand in India, Pristine has been utilizing its understanding of the market to bring the best products to its customers.
Buying this pressure cooker, you can make delicious food without worrying about adversely affecting your health.
- Premeditated features like a safety plug, and a gasket release system to ensure higher safety
- Since this product is corrosion free, you need not worry about the food turning acidic upon coming in contact with the cooker
- The capacity of the pressure cooker is enough for a big Indian family
- It is a sturdy product
- This version of the pressure cooker is costlier than the others from the same brand
Unique Selling Point- The supporting handles on the side offer exceptional support while cooking. This makes the process of cooking very easy.
Now that you have a list of the best 12 pressure cookers in India in place, there are a few other things you should know about. Pressure cookers, for making cooking faster and easier, became such a popular utensil and most common to Indian kitchens.
However, which is the best pressure cooker brand in India? What factors should one keep in mind while buying cookers? Find out with us:
A Buyer Guide to purchasing the best pressure cooker
You should always be smart about where you spend your money. It will be easy to judge which pressure cooker you should get, now that you have all this information. But which of these deserves your money?
Which brand is the most reliable? Or which model is the one for your needs? All these questions will be answered when you read our buyer’s guide. It gives you detailed information about the capacity of the cooker, its surface material, warranty, etc.
Furthermore, we will give you detailed insights on these factors. Remember, there are many factors one should keep in mind while buying the best pressure cooker in India, and we promise, this will help you select the best one for your needs:
Firstly, the amount of food a pressure cooker can hold makes a big difference while selecting it. One can find a wide range of quantities starting from 2 liters going up to 12, sometimes even more.
However, this is the size of the cooker and not the amount of food it can hold. So don’t confuse the two.
There are so many kinds of families in India- from large, joint ones to smaller ones. A big chunk of the population also lives alone. For this reason, you should know the capacity you need to cook your food in a pressure cooker.
For instance, a 2-3 liter pressure cooker is enough to cook for 2-3 people or for a person living alone. In contrast, a 5-7 liter pressure cooker is ideal to support cooking for large families with over 5 people.
However, if you are cooking for a gathering of over 10 people, range your cooker choice between 10-20 liters based on the number of people and the amount of food you intend to cook in it.
Here’s a quick-cooking hack for you- if you live with a big number of people, buy 2-3 pressure cookers of different sizes for simultaneous cooking. This saves time and effort and helps you spend less time in the kitchen.
The best pressure cooker brand, India, knows what the consumer needs and has all provisions made accordingly.
2. Pressure Cooker Material
Most commonly, there are three types of pressure cookers. What they are and how one is different from another? Let’s find out-
- Aluminum Pressure Cooker
Certainly one of the oldest types of cookers in the market, the aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat and very lightweight. There are a few cons, though. It is highly reactive to acidic foods and corrodes easily.
- Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
A slight upgrade from the aluminum pressure cooker, stainless steel pressure cooker may not be the best conductor of heat but definitely is more durable. It is non-reactive to cookware and even corrosion-resistant. Unlike the aluminum pressure cooker, you can clean it using metal scrubs.
- Hard-Anodized Pressure Cooker
Most noteworthy among all pressure cooker types, this one is an excellent conductor of heat and also lightweight. It is stain-free and resistant to corrosion. It is one of the latest kinds available in the market and also, one of the most recent ones. Furthermore, the best pressure cooker brand in India prefers to use this material while making their products.
Furthermore, here’s a quick way to identify the difference between the three and which one is most useful for you:
3. Surface Material and Compatibility
Another way to pick a pressure cooker is based on its surface material. There are three primary ones available, which are:
- Anti-Bulge Base: Suitable for gas cooking because of its triple layer base. This helps in shape retention, even on high temperatures.
- Induction Base: Uses Perforated SS plate, which is suitable for induction and gas cooking
- Alpha Base: Both induction and gas-friendly- the most effective of them all. It is made from full stainless steel. This component makes it 30% higher than any other pressure cooker type.
4. Pressure Cooker Types
Essentially, there are two types of pressure cookers available in the market- Electric, and Stove-top. Here’s the difference between the two:
- Electric Pressure Cooker
Rather than depending upon an external source of heat, the electric pressure is self-sufficient. It used its in-built heat components for the process of cooking. It has a digital, pre-set timer as well, which makes it easy to keep a tab on the time of cooking.
This kind of a pressure cooker provides ease in cooking and lots of convenience.
A quick look at its best features:
- Stove-top Pressure Cooker
Your quintessential pressure cooker, stove-top, much like its name, use the heat of the stove for the process of cooking. Due to this, it takes less time to come up with pressure making the process of cooking faster.
This pressure cooker offers accuracy in cooking with its manual heat regulation. With this, you get a chance to simmer the food or cook it on high heat, whichever way you like.
Both these cookers have pros and cons, and you should choose them based on your cooking needs.
In addition to money, a big consideration while buying a pressure cooker is its durability. You should know that the hard anodized cookers have better durability because of the material, which makes it non-reactive to any kind of food.
In contrast, there’s aluminum, which easily reacts to food, especially acidic ones, creating corrosion and damaging the base of the pressure cooker.
While these can be excellent conductors of heat, the best pressure cooker brand in India ensures they tell you the problems with buying an aluminum one. But don’t be discouraged!
This kind, even though less durable, have been a popular cooking choice in the past. So, if you are comfortable using them, it is totally your choice.
But for the sake of durability, the most suggested one is the hard anodized. This kind is worth your time and money investment.
6. Inner-lid and Outer-lid Cookers
This is a very big confusion for many users. What does inner-lid and outer-lid mean anyway? And how is it different? Read on.
Have you seen those pressure cookers at home where you have put the lid inside the cooker to close them? That’s the one with the inner lid. Really, it’s as simple as that. The ones where the lid’s boundary is on the outside is the one which is the outer-lid.
Wise people know and suggest that one chooses the inner-lid one as it is safer because it holds the extra pressure really well. The outer-lid is not unsafe per se and commonly found in the larger cookers.
But if you can, pick the one with an inner-lid. Furthermore, then you can justify telling yourself that you have the best pressure cooker in India.
7. Induction Compatibility
We know that surface material and stove compatibility has already been discussed. However, a very important aspect of pressure cooker buying is its induction compatibility.
Essentially because it is important to save the environment and not over utilise any source of heat or electricity. It is smarter to pick out a pressure cooker that is induction compatible.
Be very careful while buying this. You don’t want to get a pressure cooker that is not an induction stove compatible. Imagine experiencing the rude shock of it getting ruined very quickly because you had to use it on a gas stove instead?
8. How to wash?
An often ignored but essential aspect of pressure cooker buying- dishwasher compatibility. While the best brands of pressure cookers in India try to make pressure cookers dishwashers compatible, they are pressed for choice.
When it comes to hard anodized cookers, one cannot wash them in dishwashers. They will have to do it manually. One can be stainless steel or aluminum cookers in a dishwasher.
A pressure cooker is not a one time use kind of an item. It is more of an everyday use utensil. So it is crucial that when you buy it, it comes with a warranty.
Most pressure cooker brands in India provide a maximum warranty, stretching to 5-years. But there are some that don’t offer this provision. In any case, make your choice wisely.
10. Health Factor
Finally yet importantly, another parameter to choose a pressure cooker is the health parameter. The three different cooker materials react differently with food. In the purview of this, it is best for customers to buy hard anodized and stainless steel cookers as compared to aluminum ones.
Food sometimes reacts with aluminum pressure cookers, which is why it may become acidic. It makes it unfit for consumption and unhealthy for people eating it. On the other hand, stainless steel and anodized don’t do this to your food. This makes sure the nutritive value of it is retained.
It is unlikely that you are still confused about the best pressure cooker in India. But there is surely a laid-out series of various options you can opt from when picking out cookers.
Indian audiences are of various kinds with different family sizes and living capacities. Keeping that in mind, the brands create products like pressure cookers. Needless to say, they have been extremely successful.
So have you made up your mind about buying the cooker? Which one will it be?